banner1.jpg

October 04, 2007

The Answer is A

When Kevin called me yesterday to tell me that Ortega had been passed, I felt that I was punched in the gut. I could write an essay on the "wrongs" of the media, the "wrongs" of the adoption industry and the "wrongs" of implementation...but it would take me days and I have a little girl from Guatemala who needs me to get her to school.

So, I am going to just say a couple of things. While there are many issues that have complicated the whole issue...the most influential players have come down to:
A) Those who see a child in need and will do something about it....and
B) Those who see a child in need and point to them saying "Someone really ought to do something".

You can take a guess who I would put in the B category (starts with a U)

C) There are ways to reduce poverty....education.
D) There are ways to reduce corruption....prosecuting those who hurt the children
E) There are ways to reduce cultural bias....time to heal and effort to solve other social ills (and this applies everywhere in the world)

I don't believe the Ortega solves the problems of C, D or E. There is a lot of B....but very little A. So while the crimes against women and children became the marketing campaign for it, I don't believe it does much about the factors that influence why they occur.

There are VICTIMS of crime and then there are VICTIMS of badly implemented laws. If the constitutional challenges fail, I can only hope that the Guatemala will take a good long look and see if there is a way to make this law function without hurting the people it is supposed to help! The answer is A.

Posted by Kelly at October 4, 2007 12:30 PM | TrackBack
Comments

Can we have families with pending cases email the Guatemalan Congress directly to push for an amendment to the Ortega Law to grandfather in all pending cases?

Posted by: JAMES at October 4, 2007 04:01 PM

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THERE IS NO ONE IN A POSITION TO HELP THAT WILL NOT HELP. MY SISTER AND BROTHER IN LAW HAVE BEEN IN PROCESS FOR 2 YEARS. NOW THAT THEY HAVE DISCOVERED THE PROBLEM THAT HAS CAUSED THE DELAY (ATTORNEY LAZINESS) AND HIRED AN ADDITONAL ATTORNEY THAT IS ACTUALLY GETTING THINGS DONE, THEY ARE VERY MUCH AT RISK OF LOSING THEIR FIGHT FOR THEIR SON. I AM WELL AWARE OF THE CORRUPTION IN INTERNATIONAL ADOPTIONS BUT I HAVE TO BELIEVE THERE IS A MORE CARING WAY TO CORRECT THE PROBLEMS THAN STOPPING ALL ADOPTIONS AND ABANDONING THE CHILDREN THAT ARE IN FOSTER HOMES. I FEEL GREAT SADNESS FOR MY SISTER AND HER HUSBAND BUT THE THOUGHT OF MY NEPHEW (I HAVE BEEN TO GUATEMALA TO VISIT BEN) BEING ABANDONED BY HIS COUNTRY AND LEFT TO WONDER WHERE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT SAID THEY LOVED HIM HAVE GONE, SICKENS ME. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY FAMILIES IN PROCESS MAY NOT BE ALLOWED TO FINALIZE THE JOURNEY THEY STARTED WHEN THEY SAW THE FACE THEY FELT THEY COULD NOT LIVE WITHOUT. I WILL KEEP ALL THE IN PROCESS FAMILIES IN MY HEART AND PRAYERS. I BEG EVERYONE THAT READS THIS POSTING TO PRAY FOR OUR CHILDREN STILL IN GUATAMALA. PRAY THAT THE LAW MAKERS OF GUATAMALA CAN FIND A HEART AND INTELLIGENCE BEFORE IT IS TO LATE FOR THE CHILDREN.

REMEMBER, THE BATTLE OF THE FAMILIES IS NOT A MATTER OF MONEY LIKE IT IS FOR THE LAW MAKERS BUT A MATTER OF LOVE AND COMMITMENT FOR THE CHILDREN REGARDLESS OF WHY THEY HAVE BEEN PUT UP FOR ADOPTION. THE SINS OF THE FATHERS.

I HAVE WRITTEN LETTERS, SENT E-MAILS AND SIGNED PETITIONS ALONG WITH THOUSANDS OF OTHER PEOPLE AND HAVE YET TO SEE ANY RESULTS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT WE CAN DO NEXT TO HELP OUR FAMILIES? WE ALL WILL DO ANYTHING WE CAN TO CAUSE A CHANGE IN POLICY.

Posted by: MARCHE' GEORGE at October 4, 2007 04:46 PM

It is urgent that our US Senators and House Representatives urge the Department of State (DOS) to assure that a grandfather clause to this new adoption law is in place which would allow pending adoptions to proceed. Guatemalan Congress will be discussing amendments on Tuesday Oct 9th. Without this amendment, these abandoned kids will languish. The U.S. has a policy to consider the best interests of the children. Extend that policy to the Guatemalan children who are waiting to be adopted by American families.

Secondly, while I support the Hague convention, implementation of the new Guatemalan adoption law will be at best illusory since the country lacks adeuqate funding to follow the required procedures and the law does not address adequate funding. This issue needs to be addressed and solutions encouraged by our DOS on Oct 9th when the Guatemalan Congress considers amendments or the passage of this law will create a much greater problem: the children will be living in the streets of Guatemala.

Posted by: Linda at October 4, 2007 07:57 PM

Marche' George,
Your sister and her family are lucky to have a brother who is as passionate as you for their little Ben. As a fellow adoptive mom, thank you for your support of our cause.

Posted by: SaL at October 6, 2007 05:40 AM

Me and my wife have been in the process of adoption with our little girl since she was one month old. She turned three in June.We have been down about a dozen times.We also adopted three other children since we started her adoption.We had a very bad lawer at first but feel like we have a good lawyer now.Please pray for the whole adoption mess to turn for the good of all the children who are in this.God Bless

Posted by: Jace at October 8, 2007 05:58 PM

Kelly, very well said and straight to the point. In this world of consuming information in bulletpoints rather than reading... what you have posted would probably generate more response than paragraphs. Thank you, and I hope you don't mind if I borrow from it.

Posted by: Darla at October 9, 2007 03:47 PM